12.21.2010

2 Versions of Peppermint Oreos


Seriously, these look so good, I feel like reaching into the computer screen and grabbing one. I kept seeing these on people's blogs and wanted to give them a try. They. were. delicious. There are lots of versions of these. I combined two recipes that met my requirements of ease, and not having to buy cream cheese.

For the cookies and general inspiration, I used the recipe off of I heart naptime (the girl who ate everything was guest blogging). You've probably seen this cookie recipe before. They are the easiest and softest chocolate cookies ever.

Cookie:

2 boxes Devil's food cake mix
4 eggs
2/3 C vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix the cake mix, eggs, and oil with a mixer. The batter will be very stiff. Pinch off pieces of batter and roll into 1 inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheeta nd flatten slightly with fingertips. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove immediately from the cookie sheets and let cool on a wire rack (like I have a wire rack!!)

Filling:

Since I didn't have cream cheese, I went over to Cupcake Project for the filling (you could also use her cookie recipe if you don't have the cake mix lying around).

Ingredients:

1/4 C room temp unsalted butter
1/4 C vegetable shortening
2 C sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp peppermint extract for these cookies)

Directions:
Place butter and shortening in mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn mixer on high and beat until filling is light and fluffy.

To make the cookies, we (yes, the children helped!!) used pastry bags to pipe the frosting into the center of the cookies. You could just spread it on with a knife too. After putting on the top cookie, we rolled the cookies into candy cane bits (the kids used the end of an ice cream scooper to smash the candy canes while the plastic was still on. It was a big hit with them, no pun intended).

Then try and restrain yourself from eating the whole batch.

The very day after we went to all the trouble to make these, I found another version of peppermint oreo's on my sister in laws blog. She takes oreos, dips them in white chocolate bark, and then in crushed candy canes. I bought some white chocolate and we are doing those next.

Don' they look fun?
(picture stolen from Alicia Warnock. wahaha)

No comments:

Post a Comment