1 lb dried navy beans, picked through and rinsed
4-8 slices of really good bacon (depending on how much you want)
1 green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
sauce (all measurements are guesses):
1 1/2 C Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, whichever flavor you like best
3/4 C brown sugar
2 T yellow mustard
1 T cider vinegar
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 t garlic
1/2 C water
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
Cook navy beans by bringing to a boil in 10 C of unsalted water, covering and let simmer for 1 hour or until done. Drain off the cooking water.
Cook the bacon and then crumble it. Saute the onion and pepper in 1-2T of bacon grease (or in butter or oil if the thought of cooking in bacon grease repulses you--it does add lots of flavor, but I'll admit that it took me years before I was even willing to try it).
In a bowl, mix the sauce ingredients. Taste it and add more of any of the ingredients to get it to your desired flavor. (If this isn't enough sauce, just add a little more of everything...like I said, I just make it up, so I don't know exactly how much.)
In a 9x13, mix the beans, onion, pepper, bacon, and sauce. The sauce should coat everything well so that it doesn't get dried out in the oven. Bake 350 for 1 hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment