I've been seeing a lot of these cafe rio copy cat recipes lately (i had one version of their dressing this past weekend. I posted both versions because they're slightly different). If you have a version you like, please share!!
I got this one off of www.freezerdinner.com/. I would have just posted the link, but I noticed one recipe site I like is now private and I am really grateful I had posted some of those recipes here so I can still make them. I definitely don't want to lose this recipe-it's so good!! But check out the site-lots of yummy things to try there.
Chicken
5 lbs chicken breast- boneless skinless
1 small bottle zesty italitan dressing
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tpsp cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced
Mix all ingredients together in a large crock pot.
Cook on high for 5-7 hours. Remove chicken and shred with fork. Reserve a small amount of juice and pour over shreeded chicken to keep moist. Keep warm.
Pork
1 bottle of honey BBQ sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1 liter of Dr. Pepper or Coke
Place all ingredients in large crockpot and cook on low all night. In the morning take the raost out leaving the juice in the crockpot, shred the roast. Then place the shredded roast back in the crock pot and leave it on low.
Lime Rice
In a sauce pan saute:
2 Tbsp butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
In a large pot, bring the following to boil
6 2/3 C water
3 Tablespoons chicken bullion
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin
2 small cans diced green chilies
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Tbsp lime zest (optional)
Add onion and garlic to boiling water. Add 3 cups long grain rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
[I made in the rice cooker. Added a little less then the amount of water required for the rice cooker + the boullion and the lime juice + spices. Added the green chilis, garlic, and cilantro when the rice was almost done. Would have added onion at the same time but was too lazy too sautee so skipped it-maybe next time!!]
Fresh Salsa
4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Combine ingredients together in a medium bowl.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
1 pkg of Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing dry mix
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mayonnaise
1-2 tomatillos, peel
1 clove garlic minced
1/3 bunch cillantro, chopped
1/2 tsp lime juice
1/2 small jalapeno, seeds removed
Blend ingredients together in a blender. Add additional mayonnaise if dressing is too thin. Keep refrigerated.
Serve in the following order:
Tortillas, Shredded cheese, Chicken or Pork, Black or Pinto Beans, Lime Rice, Red and Green Leaf Lettuce, shredded, Salsa, Guacamole, Fresh Cilantro, Parmesan cheese, Fresh lime slice, Cilantro Lime Dressing, Enjoy!
Thank you for linking to my site (freezerdinner.com) I'm excited to try out some of your delicious recipes! If you have any questions on how to freeze meals, let me know. Most meals freeze so you can make extra and have dinner in the freezer for another night. By the way...I should know this, but I don't....where is Burkburnett?
ReplyDeleteEek!! i"m so excited you commented on here Jenny. Your site is incredible. And these cafe rio recipes are delicious. Next thing I'm going to make off your site is the hawaiin teriyaki chicken.
ReplyDeleteI found your site after participating in a freezer meal exchange. The exchange was so succesful, it made me excited about more things I could freeze.
And I do have one question for you. I really liked the lime rice and I was surprised to see it in a freezer meal recipe. Does rice freeze well? I always thought the consistency would be bad. So what tips do you have on rice??
And probably you shouldn't know where Burkburnett is. It's a town in Texas, right on the Oklahoma border and close to Sheppard Air Force, which most people on this site are a part of. We're all very transients, so alot of contributors aren't living here any more, including me after this summer!!
Finally, this is just meant as a casual ward recipe share, so I hope I followed blog ettiquette in posting your recipe. Let me know if it's a problem!
Thanks
This was SO good when you made it Colby!! I am making it for dinner tonight and my house already smells so yummy!
ReplyDelete