This is our breakfast tradition on Christmas morning. I also make it for brunches and I have been known to make it for dinner when I've really had a craving for it!
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbs corn syrup
1 loaf Challah bread
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups of half and half
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
In a small saucepan melt butter and add sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat. Stir until smooth. Pour into a 13x9x2 baking dish. (I usually make 1 and half the amount of sauce. I have tried doubling the amount and that can be too sweet but I do prefer adding an additional half amount of the sauce)
Cut 6 slices from the center of the bread about 1 inch thick, reserving the rest of the bread for another use. Arrange the bread slices in the dish that the sauce was poured into, squeezing them slightly to fit.
In a bowl whisk together half and half, eggs, salt, and vanilla until they are mixed well. Pour over the bread evenly. Wrap the dish and chill it for 8 hours or up to one day.
In the morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring the bread mixture to room temperature (about 20 minutes) before placing into oven. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and edges are a pale golden. Serve hot.
Note: You can get Challah (pronounced Holla) at Market street. You just have to call in advance and order it. It's $3.99 a loaf and the bread is what really makes this dish yummy. You could probally use other types of bread but I haven't tried any.
No comments:
Post a Comment